POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Tips for using mencoder (or other encoders)? : Re: Tips for using mencoder (or other encoders)? Server Time
27 Sep 2024 18:11:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tips for using mencoder (or other encoders)?
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 3 Dec 2003 12:58:29
Message: <3fce2444@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

> I've been trying to use mencoder under Linux to generate MPEG
> animations, with only partial success. I can get a mostly-working
> animation, but the image is squashed into a square on the left side, and
> it won't play properly in Quicktime. And there's a huge number of
> options, the documentation is mixed in with a bunch of other junk, and I
> can't find any tutorials...any suggestions?

If the image disortion is 1/4 black, it may be a 4-byte RBG versus
3-byte RGB problem, notably when encoding from non-YUV sources (i.e.
not jpeg). I once wrote a very dirty patch to make PNG -> MPEG encoding
work but it will not apply to recent versions.

Hard to tell more from your unspecific description "won't play properly".

Ah, and don't use too many fancy flags with MPEG1, a lot of them
need higher versions (mpeg4).

Just what came to my mind...

Wolfgang